Everyone loves crispy potato tacos. In this version, cooked potatoes are seasoned with tomato, onion and garlic for an extra flavor, then topped with sour cream and cabbage coated in lemon juice for the perfect balance of creaminess and crunch.
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 ¾ cups neutral oil, such as grapeseed oil, plus more as needed
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and boiled until fork-tender
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal), plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 6 ounces purple cabbage, thinly shredded (about 2½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 20 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Sour cream, for serving
- Step 1: Add the tomatoes, onion and garlic to a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Step 2: Heat a pot (preferably the same pot used to cook the potatoes to save on dishes) over medium and add ¼ cup of oil. Once hot and shimmering, add the blended tomato mixture. Cook until it starts to reduce and darken, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Step 3: Add the cooked potatoes to the pot and mash with a bean or potato masher until fully incorporated with the tomato mixture and just slightly chunky, but mostly smooth. Add salt, cumin and nutritional yeast, if using, and stir to combine. Turn off the heat. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Step 4: Add the shredded cabbage to a bowl with the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Toss to incorporate, and set aside.
- Step 5: Heat a dry (12-inch) skillet over medium. Warm all of the tortillas on each side in the dry skillet until soft and pliable, about 1 minute, and stack in a dish towel to keep warm. Add about ¼ cup of the potato mixture to half of each tortilla and fold over to cover. Try to keep the potato mixture completely tucked inside, then place the stuffed tortilla on a tray or plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with all of the tortillas.
- Step 6: Meanwhile, heat remaining 1½ cups of oil in a separate skillet over medium. Test the oil temperature by dipping an end of a tortilla to check for bubbling. Once the oil is hot, add 4 to 5 tacos at a time to the skillet. Cook the first side for 1 to 3 minutes, then gently flip and cook for an additional 1 to 3 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Step 7: Carefully remove the tacos from the hot oil and return to the paper towel-lined tray or plate to drain off excess oil. Cook the remaining tacos, adding additional oil as needed and scooping out any potato bits with a slotted spoon.
- Step 8: Serve immediately with sour cream and shredded cabbage.