This is the absolute best German Pancakes recipe! Only six simple ingredients and five minutes to prepare, this easy breakfast is a sure family favorite!
German Pancakes were one of our favorite breakfasts growing up, and we’ve loved watching it become one of our kids’ favorite breakfasts now. They love how the german pancakes puff up in the pan while they cook in the oven.
Top them with powdered sugar and syrup and they’re to die for!
If these are new to you (like they were to our better half), then you should make them! Make them NOW! You wont regret it. 🙂
What are German Pancakes?
German pancakes, often called Dutch Baby pancakes, are baked pancakes made from eggs, milk, flour and vanilla. The pancakes are baked in a metal or cast iron pan, puff up in the oven and then fall as they cool.
How to make German Pancakes:
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all purpose plain flour
- a dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- honey or maple syrup
1. Add 5 tablespoons of butter to a 9×13 inch (23cm x 33cm) baking tray and place it in your preheating oven to melt.
2. Meanwhile, add the eggs, milk, flour, salt and vanilla to a blender; cover and blend until smooth. Pour batter into the baking dish, over the melted butter.
3. Bake at 220 C (425 F) until the edges are golden brown and puffy, about 22-27 minutes.
4. Serve warm, sprinkle generously with powdered sugar, and drizzle with honey or maple syrup.
We’ve found that the pancakes puff up more when baked in a metal pan, but a glass pan also works.
We love to serve German pancakes with honey or maple syrup and powdered sugar, but many people also like them served with freshly squeezed lemon, butter or fruit toppings.